Wednesday 17 December 2014

marathon experience : dos and don'ts

Do you want or going to run marathon? This post going to be helpful because I am going to share some of my experience with you guys. I am not that experienced in running but in this blog you can get yourself acquaint with what might be possible mistakes for rookie runners.

Marathon is road race for around 42.2 km. In a marathon event you can participate any of the event mentioned below:
  • 5K
  • 10K
  • 21K - half marathon
  • 42K - marathon
  • 52K - ultra marathon and more

  • Dos
  • Training:  
  • It is the crucial most thing for marathon. It's like learning alphabets for elocution competition. 
  • you can use running app which provide coach - guidance for running. Start running daily starting from 1 km to your goal(hopefully.) 
  • Try to include milk, protein in your diet. After every run try to recover lost calories.  
  • When I started training the I was not able to complete even 2 km. But after practice it is nothing. you will complete 2 km in just 10 mins. 
  •  

  • Stretching:  
  • Make habit of doing stretching after every run. 
  • It's vital because without stretching exercise your running will be in vain with lots of pain! 
  • I used Hamstring Stretch as described in link which was very useful.
  • race - day : Eat food containing fiber like banana, biryani also protein bars like snickers. During race you will be bored if you just run with empty stomach. Some biscuit, protein bars can help you lot. Stay well hydrated. Water will help your muscle to keep running.
  • Stay motivated : you can find many people who will doubt on you. people will ask you about reason for running marathon by paying! one funny instance with me occurred was on race day one of the caterer asked me why are you running this much after paying money ? you could have started running on your own with one glucose bottle!



  • Don't
  • Don't Try new shoes on race day. It will cause you blister.  
  • Try to run the distance before event once so that you can have idea about how is it going to be. Because condition can be anything on race day. If you want to finish marathon you have to prepare for all possible disasters for your body. 
  •  Don't lose hope during run. stay motivated because during run you are the only one who will be talking/caring yourself. If you think you can't then no matter what you are not going to finish. Sometimes thinking about your goal helps to finish run. My goal was to tell my family that I can run marathon and finish it without  I ran only 14 km and I dared to run marathon, it's suicidal act. I suffered lots of pain after the marathon. I was walking like pregnant woman after marathon event.  
  • Try to visit race trek one day before and get yourself acquaint with turns and corners. It will help you to lower some of your tension on race day.
link of my certificate for marathon at 7th gurgaon running and living marathon even on 14th December 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment